Today’s reason(s) you love hockey comes from the one and only Icing, who has crept out from behind her potted plant to enjoy a moment in the spotlight. This is a wonderful collection of things that are great about our favorite sport, so sit back, relax, and give it up for Icing! (And if you’re suddenly feeling inclined to poke out from behind your own potted plant, please do email us your reason you love hockey at interchangeablepartsblog[at]gmail[dot]com.)
A FEW REASONS I LOVE HOCKEY…
Firstly, I’ve loved hockey ever since I can remember. And when I think of trying to come up with reasons “why”, it almost feels like it takes something away from it. Like trying to analyze why you feel a certain way about a particular song or what it is about someone that you see across a crowded room (or an empty room for that matter – although in that case it just might be ‘availability’) that catches your attention. I guess that explains why it’s taken me so long to do this. Despite all that, here are a few reasons why I love hockey…
• Sudden Death – Yeah, sometimes I worry about my own health when I’m watching a particularly important game, but I’m referring to overtime. Especially OT in the deciding game of a playoff series. That’s edge of your seat time. And the huge emotional ups and downs, watching your team on a great scoring chance that brings you to your feet, but then cringing in horror when it looks like the other team might put one in the net.
• Late Round Draft Pick Surprises – Gotta like watching a guy totally exceed his potential (you know, if he plays for a team you like).
• Acrobatics – Whether it’s hanging off the net so as not to get called for being in the crease, or flying through the air from a check, or said check causing the player to ride the edge of the boards at the bench like it’s a pommel horse…
• Players’ Beautiful Individual Efforts – Sure, it’s a team game, but it’s so spectacular watching a player make move after move as he skates down the ice toward the goal, deking defenders, maybe even falling to his knees, and maybe, just maybe, scoring a goal.
• Speed – Yeah, this might be a bit trite by now, “the fastest game on earth” and all that, but honestly, it’s so freakin’ fast. Especially when you’re actually at a game.
• Huge (open ice) Hits – It’s never great if the guy looks like Lindros after that Stevens’ hit, but these are pretty freakin’ cool to watch.
• Others’ Reactions – I’ve noted lately that non-hockey followers sometimes are quite enamoured with my watching of the game. One woman actually took photos of me watching a televised game from a couch, she was so intrigued by my maniacal excitement (also known as screaming at the t.v. and other such activities).
• The Humour – You might be thinking, huh? The humour?! But I love it when a line combination gets a quirky title bestowed upon it, or a commentator labels a play or player with some hilarious description. Of course I can never think of any off the top of my head, but a couple that I remember liking – “The Mattress Line” (Sedin *Twins* playing with Jason *King*) and goaltender Khabibulin “The Bulin Wall” – I mean c’mon, those are just clever
• Sexual Innuendo – And no, I’m not talking about the locker room, or the bench, or the player’s hotel rooms. I’m talking about the 12 year old boy side of myself that chortles about “spending too much time playing in his own end”, “he just can’t get it up!”, or “if he only had a few more inches!”
And this list of reasons I love hockey spells out “slapshots” – which are yet another reason to love “the greatest game on earth” ahem, in the galaxy.