Happy First Day of Autumn, Gentle Reader! It’s a cool September night here, and we have pre-season hockey on our television. Sure, it’s just the Rangers vs. the Senators, but it’s hockey enough to get us gathering a little wool about training camp and the season to come.
– Coach Sutter was quoted on Fire & Ice saying, “There is no reason to believe Patty can’t have a career year this year.” Au contraire, Coach. There are puh-lenty of reasons Patrik Elias can’t have a career year this year. Those reasons begin and end with “because he’s Patrik Elias”.
– Tom Gulitti is providing updates on the pre-season game in Philly. The Devils had three early PPs, including two five-on-threes, and yet didn’t score a goal and only managed four shots. Who says training camp is too short? Clearly the boys only need two solid practices before they’re ready to be playing in full mid-season form.
– While watching the Rangers-Senators game, MSG gives us a rundown of key rule changes, including that all face-offs after a penalty will be in the offensive zone. This causes Schnookie to froth at the mouth: “Great, so now Bobby Fucking Holik can lose all the face-offs on the PK. Let me tell you, if Bobby Fucking Holik gets even one second of time on the penalty kill I’ll… rant and rave ineffectually. And you can take that to the bank!” So it begins, this Second Bobby Fucking Holik Era. So it begins.
– Travis was recently featured in a Q&A on the Devils website, and it totally cracked us up. The highlights include him admitting that yes, New York has better pizza than Manitoba (shocking!), the horrifying confession that he pumps himself up for games by listening to Nickelback (NOOOOOOOO!), him listing his girlfriend only third out of the five things he’d take on a desert island (she comes after Xbox and a television, and is probably thrilled with his priorities), and him not including Zach at all on the list of five things. In fact, in another answer, Travis refers to Zach as “one of my better friends on the Devils”. That… doesn’t sound very enthusiastically pro-Zach. Does that mean Zach actually is one of Travis’s friends, or is that like saying the Blues third jersey is “one of the better third jerseys in the NHL” — that’s really damning with faint praise. We guess Zach’s glad his answer to “what five things would you take on a desert island?” didn’t get printed (it was “Travis, Travis, Travis, Travis and Travis”), and he still cherishes his half of the “BFF” locket more than Travis ever will.
– We are beyond thrilled that so many games will be carried in HD this season. We’re even getting this Rangers preseason game in HD! Preseason! In HD! Will wonders never cease? (Side note: While watching our summer viewing, we were gobsmacked to hear a character in one of the early seasons of Murder, She Wrote referred to HDTV. So Jessica Fletcher had heard of this a bajillion years ago but it’s only now that we’re finally getting it?! WTF, TV Gods? Where have you been all this time?) There is however one problem. You know us, there’s always a problem, right? Because of the additional HD channels, our sports package is all rearranged. MSG is now channel 634. We’re not sure we can handle this. It’s been 621 for as long as we can remember. We don’t handle change well. It’s bad enough that FSNY isn’t called FSNY anymore. We have to learn a new name and a new number!
– In case you missed it, the Devils annual “we pretend to have interesting behind-the-scenes content on our website” photo gallery of head-shot day
is was up on the Devils website. It featured some darling pictures of Zach, Paulie, and Pando we were going to discuss, but it seems the window for pretending to have interesting behind-the-scenes content on the website is even shorter than we were expecting. The life of a Devils fan is never easy, is it?
– Last but not least, we’d like to humbly draw you attention to a collection of season previews presented over at ModFan. That’s right, ModFan lives! Today you’ll find an amuse bouche of in-a-nutshell season predictions for the Eastern Conference. Tomorrow, we’ll post the Western Conference. Bon appetit!