Today’s the day that the warm haze of “so this is what it feels like for the Devils to beat a lesser opponent in the first round of the playoffs” burns off and we are confronted by the harsh reality “oh crap, now they’re actually going to play the second-round games” sets in. It should be fun!
Archive for April, 2012
Who doesn’t love Game 7s? We mean, other than Devils fans who watched the final 80 seconds of the last Game 7 their team was in? We’re not thinking of that right now!* No, we’re thinking happy Game 7 thoughts, of things like the 2003 SCF. Yeah, Game 7s are rad.
*(Who are we kidding? Yes we are thinking of that right now.)
So Schnookie was driving to work the other day listening to John Zorn’s version of “The Ballad of Hank McCain”, and had an amazing realization:
Dude, that song is about Devils fans! Especially Devils fans who just watched Game 3 of this series. Seriously —
No one knows better than a Devils fan after Game 3 of this series that life’s a filthy dirty game, very very hard to win.
No one knows better than a Devils fan after Game 3 of this series how to to disregard the pain, never, never let it in.
No one knows better than a Devils fan after Game 3 of this series that a man who thinks he’s free knocks his head against a wall.
No one knows better than a Devils fan after Game 3 of this series just how bitter it would be to be beaten after all (by Clemmer).
No one knows better than a Devils fan after Game 3 of this series that they’d get him all the same, and they made him pay the price.
Of course, no one knows better than a Devils fan after any Devils game that when all is said and done, that’s the only way to live.
We meant to put up a post about this before Game 4 made it sort of irrelevant, but we’re lazy. The point remains, though, that losing playoff games to Scott Clemmensen is a sort of pain that only Devils fans know, and only Ennio Morricone can put into music appropriately.
Well, it seems we’re going to be left hoping for the Panthers to suffer some sort of colossal self-inflicted collapse if we want the Devils to extend their playoff run, because our beloved boys in rouge, blanc, et noir appear to be midway through their annual perfunctory postseason fizzle. (We should be happy last year’s miracle second half fell just a hair short, so we can all remember the crazy regular-season run fondly, instead of being stuck with further memories of yet another one-and-done playoff appearance.) So here’s a going-through-the-motions new open thread for all of us to share in the misery of watching a team going through the motions of losing more games to Scott Clemmensen.
There seems to be some mystery surrounding the design of the Devils playoffs gear. We think we have the answer…
It’s the Numberwang Code!
For some people, tonight’s Devils/Panthers game is just the first in the least sexy of the Eastern Conference playoff series, but those people don’t know what they’re talking about. There are so many subplots in this match-up! Just off the tops of our heads, this series is all about:
– Pete DeBoer’s sassy, relatively exciting, mildly successful new team vs. the remnants of Pete DeBoer’s listless, boring, massively unsuccessful old team.
– Living legend Marty Brodeur vs. legend-in-his-own-mind Scott Clemmensen.
– Zach Parise vs. the immense pressures of trying to have a great playoffs in a contract year.
– Ilya Kovalchuk vs. his legacy as a playoff flop.
– Adam Larsson, HBTN vs. the pressbox.
– Adam Henrique vs. Gabriel Landeskog and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins… wait a sec. Those guys didn’t get their teams into the playoffs. That must be why they’re better.
– John Madden’s ego vs. hold on — is that Pavel Bure? (True story: we were watching a Panthers game a couple of weeks ago in which Madden scored a goal on a passing play in front of the opponent’s net. Pookie remarked immediately after the goal, while watching the replay, “Oh my god, I was just about to say, ‘pass it to Pavel Bure!’ Isn’t that the most sad and pathetic thing ever? Pavel Bure! Remember that guy? Wait — is that actually John Madden?? Okay, that’s more sad and pathetic.”)
– The Devils proclivity for early-round playoff failure vs. hey, maybe they’ll be better if they’re not playing the Rangers or the Hurricanes?
It’s the most wonderful time of the year, Gentle Reader — Frisby Bowl time! If you want to participate in our annual bacchanal of confidence pool fun and games, head over to Frisby Bowl V to join up and get your picks in order. The deadline to have your picks in place is, to put this technically, “Wed Apr 11 23:15:00 +0000 2012″. The very best bragging rights are on the line, so you don’t want to be left out!